Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December Birthdays

Every year I meet some of my girlfriends to celebrate the Christmas Season, our friendship, and our mutual December Birthdays. A December Birthday isn't a requirement, so not everyone has one. We are all connected through playing beach volleyball together and have known each other for 20+ years.

The December Birthday Girls are.

Rene (on the left)







Amy (on the left)




And Me (on the left)


Here I am with my friend Dee.


I'm going to start telling people I'm 53, so they will tell me I look good for my age.


Ha Ha





We met at Piatti's in La Jolla and had a great time.



Here is Dee, Rene, and Jeanne.





Dee and I have been friends for over 25 years. We spent many years partnered up in beach volleyball tournaments before I started having babies. We were in each other's weddings and Dee was present at Cami's birth. We attended the same high school , but became friends after college when we were both hired to coach our Alma Mater's High School Track Team. We both were fresh out of college and had picked teaching as our chosen careers. We both ran track and field in college and competed in the Heptathlon.





We were the only female head track coaches of a boys and girls team in San Diego County at that time. We were 21 years old and bonded while dealing with "The Good Old Boy" network of high school track. We spent many nights at Dee's parent's house planning our next practice or meet. Back than, most track teams were coached by the high school football coaches. Many of these rival coaches were nice to us until they realized we knew what we were doing and our team started kicking their butts. Good Old Boys don't like to be beat by 21 year old female coaches. Dee is now a mom to Avalon. We have been through thick and thin together!



Here are Dee and Rene. Rene is my world traveler friend. I live vicariously through her fabulous adventures like when she traveled to Antarctica. She is an animal lover, a great volleyball player, and a great friend.




This is Jeanne, Amy, and Mira. More volleyball friends. Jeanne is a great mentor and one of the most creative people I know. She is an incredible designer, belly dancer, volleyball player, and throws the most incredible parties! Her indoor volleyball team just won the gold medal for the senior Olympics! Amy is one of the nicest most hardworking people I know. She has more energy than kids half her age and I know if I ever needed her she would be there in a heartbeat. She always wears a smile and a positive attitude. Mira is a mom too. She has a two and a half year old daughter, but still finds time to get together with her friends and play volleyball. I am convinced it is impossible for Mira to take a bad picture. She always looks good!




Amy and Mira


You are all wonderful friends and I look forward to spending many more Birthday dinners with you!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...